Monday, May 30, 2011

All gave some...Some gave all...Some are still Giving

I had a wonderful opportunity a week ago last Saturday night,  to be a part of sponsoring a Veteran's Banquet at our church.  Our family, like many of yours, has a long history of military service.  My son...My daddy...almost all of my cousins....from the present time to as far back as the Civil War.  I have always held those men and women who have fought to protect my freedoms in the highest regard.

I didn't even like to play "Army" when I was a little boy, and, I was not required to serve in the military.  I am sure that I would have if I had been required to, but I am thankful that I didn't have to.  But, it is absolutely my pleasure (and the least that I can do) to help honor those who did give up home, family, career, health, and even their lives in the service of our great country.

It was nice that the day of the banquet was Armed Services Day, and also that Memorial Day is now here.  This banquet helped me focus more directly on what sacrifice really meant.  I always knew that our warriors sacrificed for us, but it was never more clear to me and my wife as it was the day that we hugged our son and told him goodbye as he left for Iraq and Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I know that nothing in life is certain, and we are not promised our next breath, but, it is really heart wrenching to know that this could be the last time that you tell your child in person that you love them.  God blessed him to return to us alive after all three of his tours to Iraq.  But, I will say one thing for certain.  I don't believe that any man or woman who faces the horrors and dangers of war ever return the same as they were when they left.



This was very obvious to me as I spoke with, and listened to, some of the veterans in attendance. One man, who was newly married when he had to leave said that when he returned, his wife was shocked and frightened by the change in him.  He left his bride as a fun loving, carefree "boy" and returned to her as a man whose attitude and demeanor was hardened by the constant preparation "to kill."

Another man was showing me pictures of his unit on a mountain ridge on Christmas day in Vietnam.  With sadness in his voice he pointed to the picture of a smiling young man who was his buddy.  He had encouraged his buddy to join the military, but later, that man took his own life because of the pressures and effects of war.  The living soldier still deals with guilt and deals with the loss of his fallen friend.

Another man left his hand on the battlefield in Germany.....one man left part of his ear in Baghdad....several men told me that they cannot sleep well even now, and unexpected movements or noises still affect them badly...one man had to be the one who carefully and lovingly "packaged the remains" of the fallen to prepare that soldier for his last ride back home...Therefore...my title...."All gave some...Some gave all....and some are still Giving."


Here is one thing that I learned from these men and women.  They didn't want to leave family, friends and home, but they knew that they had a big part to play in a theater that was much larger than themselves.  They knew that many people's safety and freedom relied on how they played their role.  So....they gave their best.  They did what they were called on to do.

Even though I am not called on to serve as they were in roles of life and death....Do I do my best??  Who knows, maybe someone who needs me might be in a life or death situation in their lives, or in the lives of the ones they love.  Am I willing to do what I am needed to do???Even if I don't WANT to do it???Even if it is not convenient???Even if it is not popular???  Do we stand in the trenches of life,  ready to build up other people?  I believe that each one of us have a role to play and those roles have a huge impact on how the "play"  turns out.



As I was making the video shown above , I saw  a man who has lived nearly a century and his health has failed him, but he still has the desire to stand in honor of the flag and of the country that he served so honorably. His desire was to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. Because of his difficulty in accomplishing his desire, you also see his daughter who gives of herself to help him stand.  He is not able to stand up straight.  He cannot stand up quickly, but, with her help, he can stand.  This is one of the ways that "some are still giving" and these things are what makes our country and its people great.



Remember....My Motto Is:

       Building up Homes

                 Building up Businesses


                                Building up Others


I would love to hear from you:


Teddy Griffin

 Go directly to my media page!

Hear..............Forget
See...............Remember
Experience....Understand


   teddygriffin2036

Follow me by clicking the logos below:

      

1 comment:

  1. Teddy, God Bless you, great post, may I recommend reading the antiwar book Johnny Got His Gun http://t.co/yx1iMpz
    God Bless America

    ReplyDelete